Foster Care Fortnight™ is the UK’s biggest foster care awareness raising campaign, led by leading fostering charity, The Fostering Network. It is running between Monday 1st June and Sunday 14th June 2015. This year’s theme is ‘Make A Connection’ and foster carers and staffing teams are encouraged to highlight their association with fostering; whether it be the length of time they have been foster carers or how many children they have supported – the connection is not always professional, it could be a neighbour, family member or another form or support network.
There are over 46,000 children in the care of local authorities in England and Wales, with 55% of them aged 10 and over. Statistics showed that 30,430 started to be looked after in 2014, with an average of 1 child being taken into care every 15 minutes. It is estimated that a further 8,370 foster carers are needed this year alone in England and Wales to meet the demand, and to provide the supportive, stable and caring home for these vulnerable children.
(Statistics Courtesy of BAAF and The Fostering Network)
Here’s what we’re up to over the next two weeks – keep an eye on our website and the social media sites for more:
• ‘Day in a Life of a Foster Carer’ stories
• ‘My Connection’ to foster care pictures
• Quotes from Foster Carers, children, teenagers and care leavers
Recruitment Events - Could you be a Foster Carer?
• Wednesday 3rd June – Mold Market, Flintshire between 8am – 2pm
• Friday 5th June – Xscape Yorkshire, Castleford between 10am – 6pm
• Friday 5th June – Cambridge Central Library, Cambridge between 9.30am – 3pm
• Saturday 6th June – Kenilworth Show, Warwickshire between 10am – 4pm
• Thursday 11th June – Liverpool Central Library between 9.30am – 4.30pm
• Thursday 11th June – The Forum, Norwich between 10am – 4pm
• Friday 12th June – Foster Walk in Blaenau Gwent between 1pm – 4pm
• Friday 12th June – Star City, Birmingham between 10am – 4pm
• Saturday 13th June – Gloucestershire Pride, Gloucester between 10am – 4pm
• Sunday 14th June – Fargo Village, Coventry between 11am – 4pm
In the Press:
• Our foster carers Tina, Mo and Rose have been interviewed with care leaver Jaimie, all have been quoted alongside Hollywood actor Michael Sheen:http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/could-you-foster-child-teenager-9363058
• Article all about us by Nation Radio: http://www.nationradio.com/event_items/foster-care-fortnight/
• This article mentions the Foster Walk we’ll be taking part in with The Fostering Network on Friday 12th June:http://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/news/13090915.FOSTER_CARE_FORTNIGHT__Campaign_highlights_urgent_need_for_more_foster_families/
On the Radio:
• Listen to our staff and foster carer interviews and adverts on Nation Radio:http://www.nationradio.com/event_items/foster-care-fortnight/
• Listen to our adverts on Capital Radio: http://www.capitalfm.com/southwales/
• Listen to our adverts on Heart Radio: http://www.heart.co.uk/northwales/
News & Policy
News & Policy from our member agencies, the fostering sector and the world of child protection and safeguarding as a whole.
Browse News Categories
Browse News Archives